Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Graveyard Fields (Blue Ridge Parkway)

I took a ride on the Blue Ridge up to Graveyard Fields today.  Graveyard Fields is a field of trees that burned some 50 years ago - or something like that.  I hiked to the lower falls and came upon some fresh bear tracks, so I turned around.  I then found a family to hike with up to the upper falls (safety in numbers).  The hike was brutal and nearly killed me.  However, I refused to turn back and be outdone by kids!  (Who didn't seem to have any trouble at all with the hike!)  It was a beautiful day to be outside and taking in all the beauty around me.







The trail was nice and shaded to the lower falls.





I see bear warnings all the time and pretty-much
ignore them (black bears).  If you don't bother them,
they (usually) don't bother you.


Nice trail to the falls.



PIC UPPER:  This is the lower falls from the trail.
PIC LOWER:  A view of that falls from the BRP.


After seeing this bear track - I turned around.  A sign
is one thing - a fresh track is an entirely different thing!



I found this nice family to hang out with.  They had big sticks to beat off any potential predators.  Plus, I figured any bear would go for the kids before me - thereby giving me time to run away!  (And, run for help, of course!)

This was the nicest family.  It was great to see
these kids enjoying a hike rather than sitting
in front of a TV set!




This trail was brutal.  Lots of rocks and
climbing up the mountain.  Oh sure,
it looks easy - but wasn't.








One of the kids got tired and rested.  He was
not NEARLY as tired as I was!



Lots of little streams to cross!



This was one of several make-shift bridges
that I nearly fell off of.



I was whining and complaining and carrying on about how long the hike was, and that it was all up hill (the trail is about 2 miles long).  In a casual conversation with a member of this wonderful family, I learned that one of the gentlemen hiking with us had a prosthetic leg.  I was ashamed to be able-bodied and complaining so much!  I am so grateful that I am able to be outside and enjoy this beauty in nature.



This is the good life!








The little kid resting again.  At least it allowed
me to catch up with him!



This guy, for some reason, reminded me of my idol
John Muir!  They were definitely dressed for hiking!



I finally reached the upper falls and the hike up was well worth it! It was a beautiful sight! You could put your feet in the crystal clear water of the stream and enjoy the waterfall with a nice picnic lunch. 








And, I am none worse for the wear!



The hike back was MUCH easier and even seemed shorter!




Some interesting plants that I missed on the way up.



A set of stairs never looked so good!
(They led up to the parking area.)



What better way to end a beautiful day than with a delicious TLT (tempeh, lettuce & tomato) sandwich from Firestorm Cafe in Asheville?!  http://www.firestormcafe.com/



Beautiful!