Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Blue Spring State Park (Orange City, Florida)

Being that I am in Sanford for a few days, I saw a sign for Blue Spring State Park and decided on a whim to go.  I was glad I did.  There were about 65 manatees in the spring today. During winter, the manatees come to the spring for it's warm 72-degree water.  It was a nice sight to see!





There were a lot of baby manatees today.










 
The park spring is into its regularly scheduled closure for all water-based activities from November 15 to March 1.  However, there was this boat with 2 guys in it photographing the manatees.  I would imagine that they are park people, since during the time that the manatees are there, no boats or other water activities are allowed.  During summer, you can swim in the spring. 


I cannot imagine having a better job than this guy!!





Some of the manatees came right up to the boat.
I guess it was a curiosity.







 
The manatees were the main attraction for me today, but the rest of the park is really nice also.  There's a nice camping area, some cabins you can rent, lots of picnic space and pavilions, and a lot of hiking areas (including the boardwalk along the spring).  This park is home to not only the manatees, but also black bears, alligators and a large variety of wading birds.  During the summer months you can rent canoes or take a guided boat tour along the river.   It was a very nice state park!













Well . . . aren't I just SO cute?!?




Even though these kids were screaming Banshees, it was nice to see them outside and enjoying the park and learning about manatees.  This sure beats video games!




It's not like I was going to jump in this water anyway!







And, yes, there I am . . . AGAIN!