Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Monday, March 10, 2014

Shark Valley (Everglades National Park)

Because of improperly stored cargo, on May 11, 1996, ValuJet Flight 592 crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 people on board. In 1999, on the 3rd anniversary of the crash, a memorial in the Everglades was dedicated to the victims. The memorial is 110 concrete pillars that point to the location of the crash site eight miles to the north. The 110 pillars represent the lives of those who perished in the crash.
 
Today I took a drive out to Shark Valley (Everglades National Park).  I never go past this memorial without paying my respects.
 



 
NOW, on to Shark Valley (which is 5 miles west of this memorial).  This is a birdwatchers dream place.  As soon as I got out of my car, I started seeing this awesome bird, a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron.  I was VERY excited to see this bird, to say the least.  Every step you take, you see more and more birds and alligators.  It is truly a beautiful, peaceful place!  I LOVE this National Park!


 
An anhinga.  Look at those eyes!

 
Some screaming, bratty baby anhingas.  The nests were full!

 
A tiny, baby gator.  There were lots of babies here today!

 
Black-Crowned Night Heron.  There were SO many here today!





 
Lazy Gator

 
Little Green Heron

 
Great Blue Heron



 
Little Blue Heron

 
LUNCH!  Fishing without a fishing pole!

 
A Moorhen (I think)

 
A prancing Snowy Egret