Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Everglades National Park

I love it that this national park is in my home state.  It is one of my favorite places to visit.  This time of year, there are tons of birds.  Besides the birds, it's just a great place to walk around and enjoy the Florida Everglades!

An anhinga and her baby.  The anhinga nests were SO active!




 
Not sure what this bird is.

 
Pretty bluejay

 
Cormorant.  He was playing with me!




 
Great blue heron.

 
Gorgeous purple gallinule



 
Wood Stork

 
Little green heron - with a gator photobombing my pic!


 
Funky little green heron - he was all flustered!



 
Little green herons


 
An anhinga and his buddy the turtle

 
 
FISHIES!

 
Soft shell turtle
 


 
Nice sighting:  A swallow-tailed kite

 
He is chasing a bald eagle!

 
Osprey

 
The moon and a swallow-tailed kite

 
The moon and a wood stork

 
Butterfly on a gator's back

 
YIKES!

 
Lots of alligators!




 
Despite the fact that the alligators are used to being around people in this national park, they are STILL wild animals.  This one was coming up out of the water, with very little space between him and these people taking photographs.  There were even people who let their kids get very close.  They are used to people, yes, but that doesn't mean that one won't grab you and drag you into the water!



 
Just looking for some warm sunshine!

 
More of the park






 
This kid had it made!



 
I love my time spent in this beautiful National Park!
 
 
 
The day concludes with a FANTASTIC milkshake from Robert is Here!