Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Thursday, December 4, 2014

America the Beautiful Quarters Program - Everglades National Park Quarter Launch

On June 6, 2014, I was lucky enough to find myself in Moab, Utah, when they were having the America the Beautiful Quarters Program for the launch of the Arches National Park Quarter.  It was a beautiful ceremony.

And, today, was the launch of the EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK Quarter.  I love our National Park, so of course I was in attendance.  It was a wonderful ceremony at Harris Field in Homestead, Florida. There was a great turnout, and lots of kids from South Dade Schools to enjoy the launch of our quarter.

But, this ceremony is not going to get away without my complaints.  For one, neither the Governor or Lt. Governor came to the ceremony (in Moab, the Lt. Governor proudly joined in the launch of the Arches Quarter).  The Mayor of our county was also a no-show (well, he may have been there and perhaps I just didn't see him - but he definitely didn't speak).  Florida left it to the City of Homestead to do everything; and the City of Homestead did a fantastic job!  The people who did speak spent a lot of time kissing the asses of politicians who didn't even bother to come.  They were thanking this one, and that one, and not once did they thank the people who use and enjoy our beautiful National Park.  

Of particular note was, several rows of the seats in the pavilion were "RESERVED".  Us normal folks were not allowed to sit there.  Then, they were passing out programs and when I asked for one, I was told, in these exact words, "No, you can't have one - they are for invited guests."  WTF??  Right before the ceremony started, a lot of those RESERVED seats were still empty.  It was at that point, that the national park rangers told anyone they could sit there.  OH, and THEN they gave me a program.  I couldn't believe this.  Might I remind them that Theodore Roosevelt created national parks "for the benefit and enjoyment of the people."  NOT for politicians!  I was so annoyed, but I didn't let it ruin this great ceremony and the great job the City of Homestead did!



Homestead Air Reserve Base 482nd Fighter Wing Honor Guard


The emcee was Josh Padgett, he did a great job - he's very charming!


City of Homestead Mayor Stephen Shelley



Acting Everglades NP Superintendent Bob Krumenaker


Beverly Ortega Babers,
Chief Administrative Officer, United States Mint



The Everglades National Park Quarter Launch


Very nice crowd!


Area schools made these amazing quilts.  The winning quilt received a National Park Pass for the next year.  (Oops, I forgot which one won.)





This is crazy, but this is the line to pay to buy money.  Yes, you could buy rolls of the new Everglades National Park Quarter (yes, I WAS in that line!)