Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hands Across the Sand 2012

I have to say, I am a big, whiny crybaby when it comes to the beach.  I don't like anything about it - the sun, the sand, the water, the humans, the stench of sunscreen.  That being said, the beach was quite beautiful today to join in a peaceful protest of off-shore oil drilling (can you say BP?).  A lot of people were out enjoying this great South Florida day. The best part of it was seeing all the turtle nests marked and roped off; that made my suffering in the sun worthwhile!

I was greeted by this little varmint on my way to the beach.  She was very protective as she had a bunch of babies.  She let me know not to get too close.  I can respect that.





A cute little family.



This beach could not be more beautiful.  Just because I don't enjoy going to the beach doesn't mean I can't appreciate the beauty of it.









There were a lot of roped-off turtle nests (pic above and below) on this particular beach.  From May to September, the east coast of Florida is a huge turtle nesting area.  It is important to respect the nests and not disturb them in any way.  Sea turtles are endangered and protected.




Well, I guess I don't look too miserable!




I could just see myself getting on one of these contraptions.  I would be vomiting from the moment I took off.  People ride on the parachutes pulled behind a boat.  And, to think that they actually have to PAY to do this nonsense.  Oh, fun!










There were several organizations sponsoring today's event.





More turtle nests.




Great organization.



At noon, everyone lined up on the beach and held hands to oppose off-shore oil drilling.










My crazy friend, Sandy.



WE HAD FUN!




I will never, ever understand why dirty humans throw their trash on the ground. 





For more info about Hands Across the Sand, an annual event, go here: