Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Baby Iguanas!

While working out in my yard with my plants one morning, I felt some eyes on my back.  I looked up and saw a baby iguana staring at me.  At first, I thought it was a common anole, but upon closer examination of my photograph, I saw it was a baby iguana (also common).

Over the past several weeks, it became obvious that a nest of baby iguanas had hatched in my back yard.  I say a nest because at one time, I saw 3 of them all lined up (pic below) - and they are all the same size.  They stay together, but are very shy.  One is a little more brazen now and doesn't run from me - but the other 2 do.

Iguanas are an invasive species, and that much I don't like.  But, I have to say I love these little guys in my back yard and want them to stay.  My plants have taken a beating with them chewing them, but I like them better than the plants, so it's all good.  I think they are adorable (let's see if I'm singing the same tune when they get HUGE!)

The first 2 pics are the same iguana - he was curious about me.
  I didn't realize (at first) there was more than one!


7/27/2014


8/2/2015.  This is the least-shy of the 3 - he doesn't run from me!


Siblings!!  8/5/2015


8/8/2015.  Cooling off in the shade!


8/16/2015


8/22/2015.  Next 2 pics are 2 different ones on the same day/time.



9/1/2015.


9/13/2015.  The first 3 photos are all the same iguana.  The 4th pic is a second, shy one.