Most of my posts are about pleasant things -- with the occasional rant about things that perturb me!

Friday, December 2, 2011

St. Augustine, Florida

I enjoyed spending a couple days in St. Augustine, Florida.  St. Augustine was founded in 1565 by Spanish explorer and admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, and is the oldest continuously occupied European-established city in the United States.  It is full of charm and beautiful historic buildings.  This is just a sample of a few.












This is the historic downtown area. There are plenty of unique shops, restaurants and museums.  I love the old brick streets.  It is a very pedestrian area --  nice to just walk around.
Bridge of Lions




Pigeons enjoying the view!


Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse

No clue!

A unique tree; a palm tree is growing out of the center of it


I liked the name of this cafe!

Cute Coffeehouse






This is supposedly the oldest house in St. Augustine.  Doesn't look so old to me!  In fact, my house looks older!  I didn't spring for the $8 to go in.



Love these streets!


There are historic markers all over the city.
I like that!  This is a nice park in the center of town.



A sweet little sparrow.



The Floridian - a very nice lunch spot.

I had a delicious vegetarian (tempeh) Reuben sandwich

LOTS of ways to get around town.  You can take this . . .


. . . or this . . .


. . . or this!


Just don't take this!  The poor horse has to drag around this cart all day long.  This is very sad to me and, personally, I think these horse carts should be outlawed.  Give the horse a break!


This was a very well-maintained Veterans' Cemetery in town.  The grounds were so manicured; it was really beautiful.  The National Guard Station was across the street.









This was so interesting. These were 2 gravestones of  Indians.  Each stone had a little leather beaded pouch draped around it.   It was quite beautiful.















I assume this was a Father and Son.



And, of course, just walking around town and looking at all these beautiful, unique old homes was fun.  Each one was different from the next.  I just love all the different styles.





This stairwell below is the inside of the house above.



Housing for the National Guard.